Monday, August 27, 2012

Stampede, Summer Synergy and Showdown: 15 Days in the Life of an Intern

It is hard to believe that the summer is almost over! It has been a busy one, but I think Erin would agree, a fantastic one for us interns. I couldn’t possibly think of a better way to spend my summer than promoting our Angus breed. Since Erin’s last blog post the two of us have been extremely busy. We spent almost all 10 days of Calgary stampede at the grounds in the Cattle Trail talking to both producers and providing beef education to people who were unfamiliar with the beef industry. It was a very rewarding experience for me to be able to share my love of both the beef industry and the Angus industry. I was surprised to talk to a lot of international visitors who were very interested in Angus cattle in Canada and even importing Canadian genetics.


I took two days off of Stampede which I got to spend at the Alberta 4-H provincial heifer show and at Summer Synergy. I helped to marshal the Angus class at Synergy and got a chance to talk to lot of young Angus enthusiasts. It is always great to see so many young cattle people excited about their industry.  Angus cattle were well represented with the most cattle there of any breed. Congratulations to all the participants who qualified to exhibit cattle at Calgary Stampede and to those who received Calgary Stampede scholarships.

After Stampede, I spent two days in the office helping to send out spring calving season packages and then Rob and I flew out to Lindsay, Ontario, for Showdown. The Canadian Junior Angus Association board did a fantastic job on this show. It was the biggest ever with the most cattle and most juniors. Despite the large numbers, things ran very smooth. It was nice to see so many new faces and hopefully these juniors will continue to come out to our junior events. 

As you can see, my July has been very busy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It was great to see so many of my fellow Angus breeders and to talk to others who were interested in the Angus breed. Great seeing everyone in Bashaw at the Alberta Junior Angus Show!


Posted by Stacey  Domolewski, feedback at cdnangus@cdnangus.ca