Friday, May 31, 2013

One-quarter way done!



There is tremendous accuracy in the phrase ‘time flies when you’re having fun.’ Given that there has been three weeks since my last intern update, Matt, Karla and I have now completed over one quarter of our journey with the Canadian Angus Association! 

Truthfully I have learned more in these last couple weekends than I could have ever imagined in regards to our industry and how many people assist in make the Canadian Angus Association successful. It has been rather busy around here in the Angus hub as there have been numerous deadlines including the Dick Turner Memorial Scholarship and the CAPP weight submissions not to mention Convention planning. It is quite astonishing the amount of paperwork that goes in and out of this place, and I admire those who handle all of these resources. 

Since my last update I have been able to visit a couple more 4-H achievement days. I went to Carstairs and Drayton Valley Achievement days this last week and have seen some impressive show calves, females and steers on the show road which I am sure will be hitting many jack pots and summer shows in the next few months. Travis Hunter, one of our extremely active juniors, won his club with his Angus cross steer, and dominated showmanship winning the whole district in the senior division. It is super to see how many champion projects exhibited by 4-H members are purebred Canadian Angus or Canadian Angus influence. We have a great representation out on the field from 4-H members and the success these members have achieved is quite exciting. I want to commend the many Canadian Angus Association members I have seen out and about supporting the Juniors who are promoting their genetics.

For the past three weeks I have been in the office learning the ropes from Joanelle and becoming  temporarily in command of the phone, mail and virtually everything in between. Stepping into the position has definitely been really eye-opening for me as there is so much responsibility. So far my favourite job has been receiving and delivering mail. The kinds of machines they have to make simple tasks more convenient are unbelievable. I have certainly manufactured more office skills. However, based on the amount of mail that travels through the office, I believe this may be thanks to the fact that I am well practiced. Answering the phone is not nearly as difficult as I imagined although it is taking some getting used to.

As I embark on my next week, I will be traveling extensively. Ahead is 4-H on Parade at the end of this week, my home achievement day of Flagstaff District, Kneehill District, Coronation District, Provost District, Lethbridge District and Rockyford District 4-H Shows. I am optimistic on reaching another couple hundred 4-H members, parents and sponsors with our message of the importance of the heifer project and joining junior associations like the Canadian Junior Angus Association. If any of these events are in your area, please come and share in the discussion! This great amount of promotion for the week is sure to develop many contacts as well as continuing the conversation of Canadian Angus Association and all the opportunities we provide to our members. 

I am hoping to attend more schools once I have completed these 4-H shows. If any members in Alberta would be willing to mention it to their teachers or provide me with contacts it would be much appreciated! Feel free to drop me an email (kdietrich@cdnangus.ca).
Best of luck to those who are beginning their show season or summer calving!
 


Posted by Katie Dietrich
Feedback: kdietrich@cdnangus.ca