Friday, June 21, 2013

4-H Achievement Days and School Visits


It’s hard to believe three weeks have already flown by and it is my turn to provide an update again! Looking back it doesn’t seem possible that I have accomplished everything I have. Given the proper resources and efficient execution, I have managed to visit 11 achievement days, East & West Central Regional Heifer Show and six schools in the last two months.

I cannot reinforce how much I have loved being in the classrooms. Not only have I enjoyed developing the presentations themselves but seeing the interest from children who know little to nothing about cattle or 4-H is uplifting. Through my visits I have had the opportunity to tell students about my involvement which has always been such a huge part of who I am and have grown up to be. I wish to thank Forestburg School for inviting me back to talk to some of the younger and older students as well as Amisk, Hughendon and Crossfield who were so welcoming and asked so many excellent questions. I wish to encourage all our Juniors to keep sharing with their classmates and friends about all the opportunities 4-H and the CJAA have provided them.
Keely Adams on the halter of her steer in the Champion Junior
Showmanship class at Flagstaff District Achievement Day.


This opportunity to talk to Junior members as well as students has helped me solidify my career choice as an elementary school teacher. I have talked to kids from age 5 to 15 and through this I have been enthralled in the younger classrooms and cleaver kids. The plain innocence and interest these children have in everything someone may tell them or ask them is so rewarding. It goes without saying that some of the comments I have received need time to process, as there is not much thought before sharing. I adore how excited a seven year old is when they remember how many stomachs a cow has. I will never forget the girl who would have told me about Rosie the whole 40-minute presentation if her teacher would have allowed it. These experiences have been huge for me as I have been making many contacts and having practical experience in numerous classrooms. Not to mention that I have had a teacher encourage me to apply for my practicum at their school. 

CJAA members Ty and Gus Dietrich proudly exhibit their
Angus females as 4-H projects.
I have completed my adventures to 4-H achievement days at this point and it is really great to see the enthusiasm of our youth in Alberta. I have had the chance to judge at many of the shows as well as ring and even become official photographer at my home achievement day of Flagstaff. I am thankful for these opportunities to give back to a program which was a big part of how I grew up. The benefits of programs like 4-H and the Canadian Junior Angus Association are an asset to our young agriculture advocates' success and as CAA members we are proud of these Juniors' accomplishments.

A ring full of purebred Canadian Red Angus at Flagstaff
Achievement Day; what a sweet view.
There are some Juniors that I would like to thank especially for their utilization and promotion of Canadian Angus genetics including Keely Adams who won Flagstaff Achievement Day Champion Female with her cow/calf pair, and Tyler Dietrich who followed with Reserve Champion Female with his cow/calf pair. In fact, the whole female championship class for this district were projects exhibited by Canadian Angus Juniors as Keely’s heifer won the district and  Halley Adams (obviously teaching sister Keely everything she knows), was reserve champion heifer of the district. Halley and Keely Adams and Tyler and Gus Dietrich also won showmanship and grooming for their age categories for the district.

At Kneehill District Achievement Day there were a whopping 60 out of 75 market steer projects with Angus genetics which was great to see. As well, Maria and Sabrina Kooistra of the Cheadle Club dominated in showmanship and grooming at their district achievement day in Rockyford at the halter of their Angus steers. It goes even further than the club level however, because East & West Central Heifer Show was no exception. Cache McLerie’s cow/calf pair and a heifer from Kendall Janssen received champion and reserve champion honours respectively with animals of Angus cross genetics. Dakota Townsend won the purebred side with her Angus cow/calf pair and Halley Adams followed with her Angus heifer in reserve. Halley and Dakota also won aggregate for junior and senior categories showing that these Juniors have expertise in and out of the ring. It is huge to see Junior members with a passion for the breed being so active and successful. It is safe to say the breed is in capable hands, and this summer we are sure to see some of these exceptional projects exhibited as well as many more. There has also been various club and district champion steers at many achievement days I have visited. For more details check out my twitter account, @katesdietrich or the @cdnangus account, which features many of these announcements as retweets.

The Grand Champion slap and Reserve Grand Champion
handshake in the female championship class at
Flagstaff's District Show.
Looking toward the next two months' activities, I am quite excited; Summer Synergy and the Calgary Stampede are both in the next couple weeks and Showdown is around the corner. Based on the quality of Angus Juniors and the cattle I’ve seen in Alberta alone, I cannot wait to see what the rest of Canada has to show off. Be sure to keep visiting www.cdnangus.ca as Karla, Matt and I will also be collaborating to produce a couple more videos on our YouTube account. I look forward to the latter half of my journey as a Canadian Angus Association intern and cannot wait for what the next months bring! 

Posted by Katelyn Dietrich